Suze and I went to a Vietnamese restaurant for lunch in Bridgeport last week. I had been there a handful of times before, ordering the house special, Pho, a beef noodle soup. As I was introducing a friend to the place, I encouraged us both to order the Pho.
But I did not know that the ingredient pictured above was tripe, at least my conscious mind did not want to acknowledge the possibility because I had just put a piece in my mouth, chewed it up and swallowed, with a mixture of ignorance and dread.
So I took a picture of what I hoped was an Asian fungus with my cell phone, went home and Googled images of fungus and tripe. Book tripe as a matter of fact. Also called Bible tripe--how appropos, she said with much chagrin.