Tuesday, January 31, 2012

In my right mind


Within the past year or so I have been on a creative streak.  I have had more ideas of what kind of art I want to create and I've had the opportunities to do so, thanks to some inexpensive art classes and a very kind art teacher at the high school.


This is a Communion set that I designed and sculpted out of clay, using space in an art classroom here in town.


When the set is not in use, it is a sculpture with a rose in the chalice/bowl used for the juice or wine or water for baptism.


In the bowl is the same spiral that is on the front of the bowl and on the pitcher.  The spiral, the rose, and the pitcher are all feminine images of the divine.


The hands are the bread plate, as in Christ's body, broken and blessed, given to us.


On the bread plate is a verse from the gospel of Luke:  "Jesus said, 'You give them something to eat.'"  This signifies that the Eucharist is not only an act of personal devotion but also a spiritual, moral and ethical imperative.


These are some acrylic paintings I did in a class about painting to music.  Did you know that Pythagoras matched the 'do-re-mi' scale to the 7 color wheel and then transcribed musical compositions into progressions of paint colors?


This is an acrylic painting of a photo of an opening rose that was sent to me on a greeting card.  It reminded me of a painting I saw of a lotus used for Buddhist meditation.


This is the clay sculpture that started it all.  I began by making the pear and it had to be split in half and hollowed out before putting it together again to be fired.  When I held the two hollowed-out halves in my hands, I knew what I wanted to do with them.


I then sculpted my first pair of hands, joined together, with a 'well' in the middle where I could epoxy a quartz crystal after the piece had been glazed and fired.  I call it "Star Stuff", in that all matter is made of the same stuff as the stars across the universe.  (Someone pointed out to me that it is also animal, vegetable and mineral.)


This piece is a capital, what sits on top of a column.  Some styles that I remember learning in middle school were Corinthian, Doric, and Ionic.  This one has four corners, each with a different style vase sitting in the midst of it.  The vases can only hold dried or silk flowers.


I call this piece "The Garden", mythical, ancient, sensual.


When there is art in my future or my present, I am more authentic, more alive, more of who I am.  From the photo at the top:  "I am the right brain.  I am creativity.  A free spirit.  I am passion.  Yearning.  Sensuality.  I am the sound of roaring laughter.  I am taste.  The feeling of sand beneath bare feet.  I am movement.  Vivid colors.  I am the urge to paint on an empty canvas.  I am boundless imagination.  Art.  Poetry.  I sense.  I feel.  I am everything I wanted to be."

3 comments:

Andy said...

I have known you for a very long time and I never knew that you were artistic (or atristically inspired). It is nice to know that you can still surprise me.

Cynthia said...

Really? That IS amazing. But it's true, we've never talked about that in all these years.

But you have to admit, art is kinda hard to carry around with you. ;-)

Jan said...

Beautiful! I am always impressed with others' creativity.